The Financial Information eXchange (FIX) protocol is a messaging standard developed specifically for the real-time electronic exchange of securities transactions. FIX is a public-domain specification owned and maintained by FIX Protocol, Ltd (FPL).
QuickFIX/J is a full featured messaging engine for the FIX protocol. It is a 100% Java open source implementation of the popular C++ QuickFIX engine.
- Free! It costs nothing and has a very liberal open source licence.
- Full source code available (also at no cost).
- Supports FIX versions 4.0 - 4.4, 5.0/FIXT1.1.
- Runs on any hardware and operating system supported by 1.4+ Java SE or compatible VM.
- Compatibility with QuickFIX C++ Java Native Wrapper API (easy to upgrade)
- Java NIO asynchronous network communications for scalability (using Apache MINA)
- Supports embedded SSL with Java 5+
- Provides standard JMX MBeans for FIX engine management
- Easy to embed in existing Java applications.
- Choice of message processing threading strategies
- Communication transports for TCP sockets and VM pipes.
- Metadata-driven parsing and validation.
- Metadata-driven code generation of type-safe FIX message-related classes.
- Metadata API for use at application level (for example, FIX messaging UI).
- Support for protocol customizations (new messages, fields, constraints).
- Session state storage plugins: JDBC, File, SleepyCat/JE, In memory
- Logging plugins: JDBC, File, SFL4J (supports JDK1.4 logging, Log4J, Commons Logging), Console, Composite
- Failover and High Availability.
- Scheduling of session connections.
- Many automated unit and acceptance tests.
- Example applications: Simple Swing order entry UI and a console-based order execution simulator.
- Commercial support available from multiple sources.